Another year is behind us, and while the vaccine rollout allowed us to have a few more gatherings, trips, and dining indoors than the year before, 2021 consumers remained dedicated to the dishes at. take out and fast food delivery. Hell, Wendy is even rethought his card to respond specifically to delivery orders. But which global brand have consumers been looking for more in 2021? Which restaurant chain has Google’s most successful nationwide? Can you guess? Hint: It’s not McDonald’s.
Ahrefs, an internet traffic analysis platform, recently updated their blog with a list of Top 100 Google searches for 2021. This list was not just about the food, but rather all we have researched throughout the year. (This includes typos; more people searched for “maceys” than “macys”, for example.) Facebook, YouTube and Amazon took the top three spots, followed by other utility searches such as “weather”, ” Yahoo Mail â, etc. But the first food / drink brand directly Googled by Americans in 2021 was Starbucks, 39th on the list with 18,210,000 searches.
Starbucks’ searches far surpassed that of the next competitor, McDonald’s, the latter being by far America’s largest restaurant chain in terms of sales. Starbucks, however, is the second-largest chain and has many more locations than McDonald’s. Here are some potential reasons why people Google Starbucks more often than McDonald’s:
- More Starbucks Locations Means More Opportunities To Check Out Where The Nearest Starbucks Is
- Menu availability varies more at Starbucks than at McDonald’s (especially when it comes to items like alternative milk), prompting customers to define the menu before ordering
- Seasonal offers are rotated more frequently, which means customers are left to Google to see if, for example, the Pumpkin Spice Latte has already returned.
- In urban centers, where Starbucks locations are most concentrated, tourists are potentially more likely to Google search for the closest location.
Heck, some people might just associate Starbucks with a reliable public restroom and need to leak. The point is, there are a lot of interesting inferences that can be made by looking at our Google searches, a unique window into how we live our lives and how brands fit into it.
Some of the other top Google channels in 2021 include:
- McDonald’s (# 44, at 15,680,000 searches)
- Domino’s (# 55, at 13,080,000 searches)
- Chick-fil-A (# 56, at 13,060,000 searches)
- Pizza Hut (# 75, at 10,330,000 searches)
- Taco Bell (# 94, at 8,250,000 searches)
Does this list match what you might have guessed? Did anyone expect Domino’s and Chick-fil-A to be in such heat? Is anyone else amused by the revelation that the Google search term “food” falls directly between Chick-fil-A and Pizza Hut in the rankings? Try to make a friend guess which six channels are in the top 100. For an even more fun touch: if he says “Metro”, he lose automatically.