KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (WATE) – The temperature of food in the cold room of a Townsend restaurant dropped more than 10 degrees during a recent health inspection. Temperatures, food handling issues, and lack of food safety rules followed led to a low score.
Carriage House Restaurant, 8310 State Highway 73, Townsend – rating: 72
The score is 72 at the Carriage House restaurant on Hwy 73. It’s a passing score. A score below 70 is considered a failure.
The inspector found hamburger patties at 54 degrees, diced potatoes precooked at 53 degrees and oatmeal at 52 degrees. The safe refrigerated temperature is 41 and below to slow the growth of bacteria.
Elsewhere in the kitchen, a cook was seen touching a hamburger bun and cheese with his bare hands. Gloves are required whenever someone in the kitchen is handling food.
Finally, the inspector writes that the manager did not have a good knowledge of food safety rules. The inspector offered ad hoc training to the manager. A re-inspection has been scheduled.
The Cafe, 304 Wharf St. Loudon – grade: 68; new rating: 92
A follow-up inspection took place at the CafÃ© on Wharf Street in Loudon, the initial failure rating of 68 was raised to 92 after the original violations were corrected.
Best scores of the week:
- Mardi Gras, 415 S. Gay St. – 100
- Michael’s Pizza Cottege West, 6008 Andrew Johnson Highway, Talbott – 100
- Pal’s Sudden Service, 2301 Andrew Johnson Highway, Morristown – 100
- Chick-fil-A, 11068 Parkside Drive – 99
- The Hoagie Shop, 330 Broadway Blvd., Jefferson City – 99
- Subway, 880 Oak Ridge Turnpike, Oak Ridge – 99
- Metro, 1455 Fifth St., Jellico – 99
- Arby’s, 822 Cosby Highway, Newport – 99
Suggest a correction