Police involved in a murder investigation in Milton Keynes have slammed the manager of a restaurant where a man was fatally stabbed.
Central MK’s Atesh bar and grill was the scene of the incident, which led to the death of 28-year-old Nagiib Maxamed in hospital.
Mr Burhan Ates, who runs the venue, was temporarily stripped of his license to sell alcohol at the restaurant after a request to do so by Thames Valley Police.
Read more: Milton Keynes teenager linked to Aylesbury triggers Thames Valley Police call
The license could be reinstated at a full review scheduled for Wednesday January 26 or revoked entirely by Milton Keynes Council’s licensing sub-committee.
But Gemma McCormack, a licensing officer with Thames Valley Police, wrote in a report that Mr Ates was ‘unprepared’ for the event which he told advisers was a ‘ private party.
Have your say in our short survey below:
She also said that one of the 10 gate supervisors hired by Mr Ates for the event through an outside contractor was not authorized to do so.
Ms McCormack wrote: “As early as our site visit on January 12, the licensee confirmed that the event had been booked as a private party for approximately 100 friends.
“The people booking the event did not want the locals to provide food for the event, but rather wanted space for music (arranged by themselves) and space for dancing.
“The incumbent was responsible for providing bar staff and door attendants. The incumbent met with the people booking the space and one of the DJs.
“They showed him videos of previous events made elsewhere and discussed the use of space.
“People who booked the party advertised the event online through social media platforms. It was advertised as an event available to purchase tickets from an online event booking site.
“There were also leaflets announcing the event.
“The leaflets do not state that the event is a private event. Attendees were a mix of local people in Milton Keynes and people from further afield.
By signing up to BuckinghamshireLive’s dedicated Milton Keynes newsletter you will receive our weekly news email.
It couldn’t be easier and it only takes a few seconds – just tap here, enter your email address and follow the instructions, making sure to tick the Milton Keynes Live News box.
You can also enter your address at the top of this page in the box below the image on most desktop and mobile platforms.
Changed your mind? There is an “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of every newsletter we send.
“It appears to be a music event open to the public, in the style of a nightclub promoted by the people booking the event.
“While it is considered customary for a contracted security team to advise and lead on security protocols and policies, it is always the licensee’s responsibility to ensure that the premises license terms are adhered to.
“He still has overall responsibility for the safety of his customers on his premises.
“He has not exercised due diligence in relation to his investigation of this event and his required security support, therefore due to previously raised issues regarding security protocols, use and management of the area smoking inappropriate, he was unprepared and unable to handle an event of this nature.”
Keep up to date with the latest news from across Buckinghamshire by signing up to our newsletter here.