This popular restaurant chain has been ordered to pay a customer millions after causing him ‘permanent and serious physical injury’

Although extremely rare, eating at a chain restaurant can lead to serious injury (and sometimes even death.) Such was the unfortunate case of a customer dining at a Cracker Barrel in 2014. Now the chain has been condemned to pay the man millions in damages for the “permanent and severe injury” he suffered from a bizarre water jug ​​mix.

William Cronnon was eating at a local Cracker Barrel restaurant in Marion County, Tennessee in April 2014 when he was served cleaning sanitizer instead of water. As he took a sip, he felt a burning sensation and ended up with injuries to his mouth and esophagus which he still suffers from today and which have interfered with his ability to work.

RELATED: 100 Unhealthiest Foods On The Planet

It was later discovered that Cronnon had inadvertently been served Eco-San, a chemical used to clean the restaurant’s kitchen at the time. the National Fire Protection Association categorizes Eco-San as a chemical that poses a high health risk, while its manufacturer Ecolab states that the disinfectant causes “severe skin burns and eye damage”.

Cronnon filed a lawsuit against the chain in 2015, claiming the restaurant had been negligent with an extremely dangerous chemical and seeking compensation of $150,000. But a jury decided last week that the company owed the victim far more and ordered Cracker Barrel to pay him $730,000 in economic damages, $3.6 million in non-economic damages and $5 million. dollars in punitive damages, according to court records viewed by Chattanooga Times Free Press.

The jury found that Cracker Barrel acted negligently, including “failing to hire and properly train qualified and competent employees”.

Unfortunately, Cronnon will only see a small portion of that amount, around $750,000, according to his lawyer Thomas Greer, due to Tennessee’s cap on economic damages.

“What made this so egregious was that Cracker Barrel had this policy that they put chemicals in unmarked containers for years,” Greer said. Times Free Press. “What I argued to the jury was that they were playing roulette with the health and safety of everyone who came in there, and Mr. Cronnon paid the price.”

According to the publication, the water-chemical mixture occurred when the Eco-San solution was left in a pitcher of water to soak the beverage dispenser parts overnight. The pitcher was not thrown away the next morning as it should have been, and a waiter accidentally used it to refill Cronnon’s water glass.

“While we have great respect for the legal process, we are obviously disappointed and strongly disagree with the jury’s decision in this case, which concerned an unfortunate and isolated incident that occurred at one of our stores eight years ago. While we are considering our options regarding this verdict, we are pleased that this matter is behind us so that we can better focus on supporting our customers and employees across the country,” Cracker Barrel said. in a report. “Our policy has been, and continues to be, never to put chemicals in unmarked containers.”

To learn more, see:

Four people have now died after eating at this restaurant chain, according to reports

4 fast food chains with the biggest food poisoning scandals in history

5 Popular Fast Food Deals Changing Amid Inflation

And don’t forget to Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news straight to your inbox.

Read the original article on Eat This, Not That!

About Vivian J. Smith

Check Also

Shaq’s Big Chicken restaurant chain to open in Boise, ID

Shaquille O’Neal, the Great Aristotle himself, hangs out at one of his restaurants. Big chicken …